Wednesday, January 18, 2012

We're A Lot Smarter Than We Sound

Ripped Off on the Bus!
We went on our morning run down the hill into Banos to get some groceries and save money on the bus. Our lungs haven’t quite acclimatized well enough to be able to run back up the hill, and we had groceries, so we took a bus back up. We’ve ridden the bus enough times to know exactly how much it costs (1.5 soles for the three of us) but we only had two soles, so we gave it to him and expected our change. The money taker took our soles and then resumed his position on the bus. I said, “oh no you di’int!” (under my breath and in English). 

There is no way that I was going to let that boy think that he could rip off we three white girls that easily. So Abigail and I marched up to him on our way off the bus and Abigail said, “We need our change please.” 

The boy then said: No it’s two soles for three. (which doesn’t make sense at all!)

I said, “No, it’s 50 centimoles per person, 50 plus 50 plus 50 is 1.50. We need 50 centimoles back. Please.”
He sighed deeply and rolled his eyes, but gave us our 50 centimoles! P.S. all of this dialogue was of course in Castellano.
I high fived Abby when we got off, because I was very proud of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment