Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Demasiado Dinero??

Who doesn't dream of traveling the world during at least one point in their lives?
Spring 2011 BYU-I Culture Night
It was actually never really a passion or desire of mine until I attended a free event at BYU-Idaho called culture night. It gave me a glimpse at the different cultures all around the world and I knew at that moment that I wanted the opportunity to experience a different culture at least once in my life.

Another factor that increased my desire to travel was when my roommate and dear friend Keri Rich went and toured through Europe. She came back knowing all sorts of neat things. I was in awe of how cultured she had become. So I can definitely see why people dream of traveling. After making the preparations for it, I can also definitely see why people never get around to it. Traveling can get pretty pricey!

Just because I'm curious about how much I've spent on this adventure thus far (and in case you are ever planning on doing something like this) I want to compile all the expenses here and get a guesstimate of about how much I've spent so far.
  • $600- Living Expenses 
    • The organization I am going through requires $200 a month to cover living expenses and one meal. I will be there for three months
  • $145-Passport

  • $1,286- Flight
    •  Round Trip: Las Vegas->Miami->Lima, Peru... and back
    • $279- Shots 
      • Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Dr.'s visit for Malaria prescription
    • $30- Baggage 
      • We get one checked bag and a carry-on free, but I have all sorts of Humanitarian supplies that I'm stuffing into a second check-in bag! 
    Grand Total:  Drum Roll Please.....                                                                   
    $2340
    Those are just some of the basic/necessary expenses thus far. There are lots of little things that you don't really think about, not to mention the money that will actually be spent during my time in Peru.

    Just to name a few of the optional expenses I purchased for Peru (and just because I needed them):

    $8 Set of Small Scriptures
    (I'd had my old ones for the past 13 years and they were falling apart, I'm sooo happy with my new quad, only $8 at the Lost and Found Sale!)
    The new ones are on the right. I've always wanted a set of small snap ones1
     $50 Chaco's
    Regularly $100, but stinking amazing Abigail got them for me 1/2 at 5am on a Black Friday sale!
    For the rugged Peruvian terrain... and sweet Chaco tan lines
    $165 Brand New Mini-Lap Top
    My other computer broke, so I was in need of a new one, and my 10.1 inch Acer is perfect for travel...and blogging!
    Mine is the red one in the front.
    Now, seeing the expense, am I regretting my decision?

    Not one bit!

    $2500ish for complete culture immersion in a brand new city, country and continent for 3 months while doing Humanitarian work and learning Spanish??
    Priceless.

    One more week and we'll be in Peru! I can't wait!

    Con Amor, Noelle

    1 comment:

    1. I liked this....puts it all in perspective doesn't it. Yes...you really can't put a price on this because you will come home a different person. You are going to have once in a lifetime experiences and you will also learn to love a people that will come to mean a lot to you.

      ReplyDelete