Sunday, January 22, 2012

Safety First

Remember when the only safety rules we had to remember were “look both ways before you cross the street” and “stop, drop and roll”? 
Child’s play I tell you. Childs play.

Today we visited with our first (and only friends, thus far) in Peru. Liz and Miguel. We love them! We walked home from  church with them and then they invited us over for lunch. We brought the chicken, veggies and bread and they cooked up some good ol’ American pasta with ketchup! Anyways we stayed and chatted with them for a couple hours and asked them all sorts of questions that we had (Liz is from Utah and interned here at El Bichito a year ago, met Miguel and got married to him about a month ago).  

Here's what we've learned:
To be afraid, be very afraid.. Just kidding!... kind of.
Thievery: They told us that Peruvians are notorious for being robbers. They are good at it and they are fast! They taught us all sorts of warning signs that we’re about to be robbed and precautions to take so that we are not. It was very helpful but kind of scary to think about. Let’s just say we won’t be carrying around backpacks or purses anymore!

Dogs: We go running every morning, and every morning our dislike for dogs increases 10 fold. Not a day goes by where I don’t see at least 80 dogs. They. Are. Every. Where. Apparently when we moved into El Bichito, we gained custody of two dogs ourselves (Andy and another one whose name I can’t pronounce). Anyways as soon as dogs see us come running, they bark SO viciously and bare their teeth and come at us full force. I’ve heard missionaries tell dog stories like this, but holy cow, when it’s you, it’s the scariest thing in the whole world. I’ve never sprinted so fast out of sheer terror in my entire life (mainly because I know those dogs carry all sorts of diseases and they WILL bite you.)

However, we have learned a new trick that I tried several times on our walk back up the mountain today. You simply yell NO at them and bend over and reach for the ground. They instantly think that you are reaching for a rock to throw at them and will run and hide, yet continue with their obnoxious barking. I have to remind myself everyday that I like dogs, because I’m pretty sure after spending 3 months in Peru… I will never, ever come close to a dog again.

Waterballoons: Yes, we have to even take security precautions against waterballons. We went into Cajamarca yesterday where I swear there was a huge announcement that said, “Hit the Gringa’s as hard as you can!” They were literally pelted at us full force. Abigail took one to the arm and my entire backside was soaked by the time we left. They thought it was soooo fun to chuck them at us and watch us try to scramble for cover. It was actually kind of scary because they really did throw them as hard as they could and from not very far away. How we’re going to avoid those? I know not.

Bad Boys: Miguel loves to use the term “bad boys”. He told us that if we are out after dark, the “bad boys” will come find us and take us away. Or sometimes they stalk women and follow them home, so we need to be wary of that too. He also said that if they say hello to us or whistle that we should not even acknowledge them at all cause that means we’re interested (usually we say Buenos dias or hola… whoops!) Also, side note that I forgot to blog about, probably cause I was still in culture shock, but on our first day here, Hermano Sandro was showing us around the city and while we were waiting for the bus a man came up and asked Hermano Sandro if he could purchase us! The nerve. Bad, bad boys.

Either way, we know the key is to be smart.  We try to be extra cautious and aware of our surroundings when we’re out and about and we’re trying to make friends with the Mormon boys so that they can take us around the city.

Speaking of which…. We’ve decided that there is nothing better than a clean, Peruvian, priesthood holder in a white shirt and tie. 
And that's all I'm going to say... for now :) 

......

 Well and this..

His name is Herman David…  I know, I know, in America, that’s a weird name, but when said by a native, it’s the most beautiful name we’ve ever heard!
Shhh don't tell my dad :)

Sunday's are so fantastic here! We are happy, healthy and having so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. Who was it that was throwing water balloons at you girls? Random stangers? As a missionary I had rotted fruit thrown at me once....was somewhat of a disturbing experience.......Yes....safety first....and always!

    ReplyDelete