Friday, January 20, 2012

Dirt and Germs

Los ninos Peruanos are just like American kids in the fact that they crawl ALL over you. We have the kids for about 3 hours every day (although they’re beginning to come early and leave late) and during those hours, there isn’t five minutes that go by without a nino or nina running up and clinging  to me, hopping into my lap, wrapping their arms around my neck, patting my cheeks with their hands, pleating my hair into braids or fishtails, holding my hand, stroking my neck and arms, or just cuddling into my side.


And usually  3 or 4 of these things are happening at the same time with 3 or 4 different kids.  I love it, they are so sweet and so gentle. But, (and I say this in the most loving way possible), I have never seen  such consistently dirty children! They are covered in dirt and often can be found with their hands in places  that make me cringe. Then I watch in horror as they run up to me and pat my face and say “Te Amo Elia, Nunca Vayas por favor” or “I love you Elia, never leave!” And then all the germs and all the dirt that I know will be covering my body by the end of the day don’t matter one bit anymore.  I guess that’s good practice for being a mom.

Also, on a side note. These children don’t wear underwear. I don’t know if it’s a culture thing, or if they just can’t afford it. Or maybe they’re just like American children who sometimes go through a phase where they don’t like wearing  underwear……. (you know who you are ;)

Today for a craft we made fortune catchers and then we played pictionary and got out the puzzles. The children loved it all! We also played futbol and volley. Also big hits!

1 comment: