Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Day of Work

January 14, 2012
The kids arrived at about 12:15pm yesterday. Keep in mind that we had only gotten 2-3 hours of sleep that night and were running purely on adrenaline. I guess we didn’t really comprehend that we’d actually working that day. But we did.

When the kids came, it seemed like every single ounce of Spanish drained right out of my brain and flowed right into my heart. It started to pound as I searched my brain for something logical to say and found nothing. I knew that we couldn’t spend the next three hours in silence. So I just started talking. I started with asking their names and how old they were and then it just went up from there. I’m sure that 85% of what I said that day wasn’t grammatically correct in the least, but I truly did speak with my heart and I listened with it too. I was able to remember words that I had studying 5-6 years ago in my Spanish class. With that combination, I was able to communicate with the kids just fine. It was so much fun! 

The kids were so good about helping us too. We played Simon Says, Red Light Green light, a name game, an animal guessing game, did puzzles, colored, and more! I was in absolute heaven the first… 2.5 hours. And then exhaustion set in. OH MY GOODNESS, my body was completely zapped of every ounce of energy.
This is Antony. He has adorable!!!
 There were a group of 4-5 boys who were constantly yelling “Bellia” (That’s what they call me), wanting me to come play with them or wanting me to talk with them. Whenever I’d ignore them, they’d all run over to me and just start tickling me. Oh goodness it was awful. I couldn’t stop laughing long enough to figure out how to say anything along the lines of “Stop! Get off! Leave me alone” Every once in a while I’d summon up an exasperated, “Por favor ninos!”. It was so fun but by the time 2:30 rolled around, I couldn’t even do that! The kids finally left (after much kicking them out) We sat outside with Feliciana for a little bit and chatted until we went back upstairs to get our belongings situated.

We put the three beds into one room so that we could all sleep in the same room. Abigail and I put on some sheets and that’s about as far as we got before we conked out. We woke up about an hour later FREEZING! It had gotten so cold!

It was about 7:00 pm and the electricity was still down. It was kind of scary alone in that center on our first night with no electricity! We went downstairs to explore our kitchen and found oh… maybe 600,003 health code violations. It seriously would blow your mind (ok well maybe not those of you who’ve served in South America before). But our minds were blown and we immediately got to work on thinking of ways to … pretty much not die of strange diseases during our time here. Pictures to come. Speaking of which, when I lay down to sleep at night the last thing I see before I sleep  is a ceiling covered with constellations of black mold spores. It’s fantastic :) But you know what, I’m just super glad I even have a ceiling, because I’d surely freeze without that moldy celling!

Life is good ... and dirty, but good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment