Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mis Abuelos

My dear grandparents drove down to Overton today to come say goodbye before I venture out to Peru and ended up spending the day with us. It was so fun to have them!
We even got them in on Sunday Night Sushi! Although Grandma insisted that she eat it with a fork :)
(Also, I said the blessing over the food in Spanish, wahooo!)



Well luckily for me, Grandma and Grandpa served a mission in Peru about 10 or so years ago. So they had all sorts of good advice for me concerning what to do and what not to do. I got out my pen and paper and took the following notes:

Do's
  • Wash absolutely everything in Clorox water before you eat it
    • Eggs, bananas, cherries everything!
  •  Order bottled water when you go to a restaurant, or they'll bring you tap. 
    • "Agua purificana por favor!"
  • Keep a pocket full of change to flip at the beggars so they don't continue to pester you
  • Eat the cherries
  • Fall in love with the sweetest people ever (not romantically of course), they have a great love for the Peruvian people
  • Get used to being dirty and around dirty people
    • Learn to love it
  • Ask the Bishop for his phone number, or get some sort of contact that you can have readily available
    • I figure that could be good if ever we needed a Priesthood blessing too!
Don't
  • Eat ceviche
    • I love this stuff and would have scarffed it up at first sight, so I'm glad they warned me
  • Eat the strawberries, even the gorgeous ones the size of a softball that seem to beckon at you to eat them
    • I'm also glad they warned me of this one, cause I would have been all over that! You can't soak strawberries in Clorox water because they are so porous... so eating them is out of the question
  • Go anywhere alone
    • Check
  • Accidently purchase carbonated bottled water
    • They're right next to each other at the store and the carbonated stuff is awful!
  • Eat any lettuce or salad or anything raw for that matter
  • Brush your teeth with the tap water. 
    • Tap water should never get passed your lips, for anything!
  •  Wear jewelry, watches or anything that you value while out and about
    • You might not come home with it
  • Say "No Habla Espanol"
    • Espanol offencds them, say Castellano 
Pretty good stuff eh? Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! Feel free to add to the list as you remember more stuff!

1 comment:

  1. When I was in Ecuador, we had to put our used toilet paper in the trash can, instead of flushing it down. I'm interested to see if you have to do that too!! I'm SO excited and happy that you made it safe and will love reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete