Monday, January 16, 2012

Fake It 'Til You Make It

"Tonight, Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae has become our theme song!

"We’re going at it tonight tonight
There’s a party on the rooftop top of the world (because there are often parties on our rooftop with people that probably aren't supposed to be there)
Tonight tonight and were dancing on the edge of the Cajamarca sign
I don’t know if I’ll make it but watch how good I’ll fake it
Its all right, all right, tonight, tonight

I woke up with a strange bug bite
Not sure how I got it, only soles in my pocket.

La la la, whatever, la la la, it doesn’t matter, la la la, oh well, la la la"

 I sing the two bold lines often because... they are so true. We've been faking it quite a bit here. There has been lots of the following:

Native Speaker: a;ldfjdal;jdl a;lfjdk;ajfdk ;;afjfjkad Entonces, k;jfadl jasdklfj; (at a million miles an hour)
Me: Ahhh, si si! Esta bien!
Native Speaker: No...a;dkfjad;lfj a;kdfja;d Entonces a;fjkadfjad;f
Me: Ahhh, no no?
Native Speaker: ....

Alexandro
Ok so maybe we're not faking it very well. But it doesn't matter because we're here and we're learning and we're loving it!

Some things that I've said that have sent the natives rolling in laughter:

1. "Manana tendre' hipos" Which means tomorrow I will have hiccups" I was just practicing my future tense conjugation (because I never got that far in Spanish class) and so I said that, and HOLY COW they were dying with laughter!"

2. We call Abigail "Abbi" and it sounded like they said that it was a type of bird, so I turned to Abbi and said "Tu eres un pajaro!" (You are a bird!) Again... the old ladies practically had tears streaming out of their eyes. Why? I don't really know.

3. I was telling the story of the Pata Fea (Ugly Duckling), but I kept saying Plata Fea (The Ugly Dish), the ninas haven't let me forget that one.

There are other words that I say thinking that they are correct, but the kids just laugh at me. One that I can't figure out is proxima. I thought it meant next, and I looked it up in the dictionary... sure enough it says next, but apparently the kids don't think so.

5 comments:

  1. Be careful with Pajaro! It can mean something very different than a bird in some countries. Maybe that's why the old ladies were crying.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. From spanish.com: ''Pájaro'' is often used in reference to an overtly gay man.
    Cuidado mi hija!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you were signed in on my computer- but the above post was from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fluent in gringo......are you saying pr-oh-xima or pr-ah-xima? it's like the difference between hey bro and hey brah. Pro-xima My spanish is fading day to day and I love/miss the latino culture and people so much....I'm jealous EVERY time I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guess as native spanish speaker is that you might sound funny when you say proxima, which indeed means next. On the pajaro thing I must say that we latin american people tend to laugh a lot and lots of things make us laugh so don't worry about saying something innapropiate it depends a lot of the context of the word and the people your talking to. You're doing great and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete