Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bucket List: Milk a Cow


I can’t believe it!! I have finally fulfilled my dream of milking a cow!
 It’s been on my bucket list for who knows how long and I did it right here in a beautiful Peruvian field. We wanted to make homemade cheese, because Miguel knows how and we’ve been wanting to do it. So after work, we ventured into the Peruvian outback to find some cows we could buy some milk from. Or rather some cow owners I suppose.
Me and the said cow
It was quite the adventure. Nobody wanted to sell us milk, it was crazy! I didn’t understand why they were so hesitant. We needed 18 liters, but we got 10 here, 5 there etc. And then working out a fair price was crazy too! They usually sell it for .80 a liter, but they were insistent on selling  it to us for 1.50 a liter because we were white. The nerve! Ricardo was able to use the power of “-ita” to knock the price down to 1.30 a liter, but still! 
 
So we sat and watched as a lady milked the cow for the milk we needed to make cheese and then we asked her if we could try milking it. It was sooo fun! It was not what I was expecting at all and it was kind of scary at first. I was super bad at it at first, but I got the hang of it and did … ok. The lady went to town though. She was a pro. Either way, I now can say I have milked a cow, in Peru none the less. Success!

1 comment: